Tuesday, June 19, 2012

My Doctored Alfredo Sauce

I really love cooking all the way from scratch. I'm talking, rolling your own ravioli dough, stuffing it with your own concoction and topping it with sauce made from roasted tomatoes out of your own garden. That is bliss to me! Don't laugh...it really is. However, I am also a realist. Its just not gonna happen every night. So, a lot of the time when I make dinner its a little bit ready made and a little bit from scratch.
If you asked my husband what one of his favorite dinners is, he would probably tell you about my Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo. Its super easy and tastes delicious!


  • 2 tbs butter or olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • kosher salt
  • 10 oz sliced baby portabella mushrooms
  • 1 tbs minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup to 1 cup of dry sherry wine
  • jar of your favorite Alfredo sauce
  • cracked pepper


In a large skillet, start sauteing the onions in butter or olive oil over medium low heat. I usually add a little kosher salt at this step to help the onions sweat. After about 10 minutes, add the sliced mushrooms and stir to coat. When the onions are soft, add the garlic and saute for one minute.

Next, increase the heat to medium high and add the dry sherry. Allow this mixture to reach a boil. I listed a vague amount of sherry on the ingredient list because I love the flavor it adds to the sauce, so I am usually closer to a full cup but use whatever pleases your taste buds! 

Finally, simply add the jar of your favorite Alfredo sauce and season with fresh cracked pepper to taste. I usually just use whatever is on sale at the grocery store and it always tastes delicious! Serve this sauce with grilled or baked chicken and your favorite kind of pasta and you'll  be sure to want seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment