Monday, April 23, 2012

A Very Merry Birthday Tea Party: Part Two

As promised, here are the photos taken at my surprise tea party! (See original post here.) The girls all did such a fabulous job. It was surely a memorable birthday this year.

My mom utilizes this over-sized chalkboard for everything. In between events, she always has a quote written on it at the bottom of her stairs. Today she used it as a menu board- and my first clue as to what was going on!


Some necessary Tea Party accessories awaited me on the front porch. Mom hand made this dress, hat and invitation. The dress fit me perfectly (without ever having tried it on), amazing! The hat was beautifully embellished with layers of chiffon and French netting. The invitations were sewn onto fabric, a unique and crafty touch.


Here I am all dolled up!






Talk about wow factor! I was taken back when I walked into my mother's living room and saw that it had been converted to this charming setting for afternoon tea. Each table was dressed with layers of lace and floral prints creating a lush feminine feeling. I loved it! She brought out gorgeous vintage tea cups from my nana's collection which was a special sentiment to me. Parasols from my wedding hung upside down with fishing wire to add to the grandeur! It was truly stunning.




We had an extravagant three course feast, close to a traditional afternoon high tea. The first course included mom's famous scones, fresh fruit and mimosa's. The second course consisted of classic tea sandwiches-delicious! And for the third course (drum roll please)....




...a breathtaking Red Wine Poached Pear Trifle. I had clipped this recipe months ago and told her that I'd love for it to be my birthday cake next year and she remembered! I can't even begin to describe how absolutely delicious it was with layers of marscapone cheese, toasted hazelnuts, homemade vanilla cake and red wine poached pears. As a bonus, the dish was a gift for me! If you would also like to partake in this pure joy of a dessert, here is the link at Better Homes and Garden: Red Wine Poached Pear Trifle

There were sweet little touches throughout the party that really made the day special.


My mom's china along with whimsical touches.
My mom loves fairies.
A reference to Alice In Wonderland
A favorite doll from my childhood

Party favors from Tea Forte

The girls were enticed to dress according to the theme with a grand prize for best "costume." I think they all looked fabulous!



We all voted and my childhood friend, Mandy, won with her Mad Hatter inspired look. She crafted her top hat, belt and shoes on her own. I love the enthusiasm and she did an outstanding job! 




Well, I guess that's Ta Ta for now! 


No comments:

Post a Comment